Sunday, January 25, 2009

Blog Analysis

In Britta Pichler’s blog “Op-Expat” the reader finds themselves immersed in the Viennese and Austrian culture through the eyes of a born and bred California girl. I chose this blog because I have a bit of personal experience in the Austrian culture.
Britta comes off to be a very down to earth and somewhat sarcastic person by the style her writing takes on. In one entry, “Failure to Communicate- Culturally” Britta talks about references to movies and television shows that a typical American would recognize but that her husband, a native Austrian, just doesn’t grasp. She goes on to describe a few such situations and then comments on her relief when a friend comes to visit them and her references are understood. Also, her blogs, usually including pictures, shows her appreciation for the Viennese culture. She has one entry dedicated to the “7 wonders of Vienna” as she calls them. She also offers a section that provides a little background on her, so it gives the reader an idea where she is coming from.
The audience for this blog is slightly broader than other blogs out there in my opinion. It could be for anyone interested in travel, or more specifically in traveling to Vienna. It could appeal to those interested in the varying cultures around the world. It caught my interest as another American having been to Vienna and other areas in Austria. I like to see how Britta’s opinions and experiences line up and stray from my own experiences.
Britta presents all her information in a very laid back, sort of personal style. She is not talking down to the reader like they are ignorant, but rather speaking on the same level and giving away aspects of her own personality. She tells stories of her experiences and compares and contrasts her new home of Vienna with her old home in California. In one entry, “Weather Culture Shock” Britta describes her new experiences with the four seasons, which she is unaccustomed to having grown up in California and explains an encounter with a co-worker regarding the shift in the season. She uses a lot of vivid language as well, creating pictures with her stories and allowing the reader to visualize each situation.
The point of Britta’s blog is to convey information about the Austrian culture, specifically the Viennese culture. She does this in a comical, slightly sarcastic style. She informs the reader about eating habits, holiday customs, everyday customs of Austrians and some sites to be seen throughout Austria.
All in all, I find this blog to be informative as well as entertaining. I always think it is interesting to see another point of view on something that you have personally experienced. The opinions expressed in blogs really allow readers to see the personality of the writer.

here you can read Britta Pichler's blog yourself: http://op-expat.com/


1 comment:

  1. First of all, let me say that you are a very good writer. The voice is hard to describe, but it fits very well. It is straightforward and inviting. The article is well structured and easy to follow. Adding more examples from her blog would be interesting, but I understand that the blog needs to be short and simple. Overall, I really like it. I wish I could help you edit more, but I can't really find anything I would change! Great job!

    ReplyDelete